Friday, August 7

What A Mess!!

What do you get when you mix 4 adults, 7 kids and 5 pounds of powdered sugar? If you guessed a big mess, you're right. Christine decided to make a wedding/birthday/birthday cake for Skyler and Carrie when they came for a visit recently. She asked if I would help her because she had never made a layered cake nor worked with fondant before. I'm always up for a challenge, so I agreed. The morning of the project, I called my friend to ask for any pointers on fondant because she had just made and used some recently. When she asked if we wanted her help, I didn't hesitate to say yes. Making the fondant was the easy part, no worries. Rolling it out, mixing the colors and getting it smooth on the cake is an entirely different story. Thank goodness she volunteered to come "help" (i.e. do it all) because with out her here, who knows what the final outcome of the cake would have been.

Pictures of the counter when we were done.


There was at least this much sugar on the floor also. Keeping kids hands out of the sugar was a challenge, it is so inviting to little ones with nosy fingers.
The finished cake. Bottom layer is for the new bride and groom, middle is camo for the Army boy and pink is for Carrie, her favorite color. No need to go into detail as to why the top layer has camo covering all the pink, suffice it to say I was in charge of rolling out the pink fondant and I didn't pass the class.

The happy couple getting ready to cut the cake. Aren't they cute?


Posted by Picasa

0 Thoughts: